Giovanni Lo Celso

12

Giovanni Lo Celso

steve_ben
Is this turning into another Grealish saga, where we waited and waited always expecting the transfer to happen, only for it never to do so - it is beginning to feel that way with less than 2 weeks of the window remaining

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

Mike Nolan
It does feel that we are being g held over a barrel. I noticed those down the road complete their business and they were supposedly potless

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

greavesand gilzean
Seems more likely that Levy is trying to hold Real betis over a barrel - waiting till they sign Fekir to squeeze their cash, talking up Dybala (who I dont really think want flashy though that would be) . Not knocking Levy, but unless I'm missing something seems that they want to sell...

TBHN reported that the price was fixed some time ago. is that accurate?

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

Mark Adkins
We are told every season "trust" in Levy.   We are told we had record profits last year and surely we will this year as well, and that the lack of transfers in previous windows will allow us to think big.  And here we are again in the same situation as we are every season.

Levy has done great things for the club, and will continue to do so but arguing that he is great negotiator is beginning to wear thin.  I'm tired of the commentary on his shrewd negotiating and the deals everyone wants to tout.  I don't want a great deal - I want a few fantastic, top tier players brought in so we can finally win something. If we have to overspend a little to get them, so be it.  They should have been brought in early so Poch could bring them up to speed on our philosophy, and integrate them into the team. Saving a few million is great business, but I've had enough listening to what a well run club Spurs is, and I'm ready for us to splash some cash for once.  Watching Arse (with a supposedly meager $40m war chest) now have Pepe, Ceballos and Saliba.  How is it possible that they can do that, and we can barely pay for nDombele?

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

DarreMi
All of you need to read what Clive has written over the past month. LC has been on holiday after playing for Argentina and he is due to fly over once the final payment structure has been agreed by both parties.
Sessegnon is also injured and his transfer fee has also been agreed - again Clive has told us that.

If the window closes and these deals are not done, then I will be disappointed like most Tottenham fans. But they are set up to be completed before the window shuts. In Levy and in Clive we trust #LevyIn #COYS

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

THBN
Administrator
But the players Poch wants have not been available to integrate into the team, Lo Celso has been playing in the Copa America and then been on holiday until Monday.

Ryan Sessegnon picked up a hamstring injury in the European Under-21 Championships so needed treatment and rest at his club. You don't buy a player carrying an injury just so you can treat him.

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

THBN
Administrator
With regars to Arsenal I wrote a whole piece on it. They have only spend £45.8m this window.

Here you go, take a read:

https://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.com/2019/07/tottenham-transfer-talk-sunday-afternoon.html

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

greavesand gilzean
Understood. would still welcome clarification on Lo Celso (maybe Im just getting unnecessarily nervous). is the price and terms a done deal - which I think you've said before? I would much prefer him to Dybala....

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

Mark Adkins
if this is all done and dusted, why is Lo Celso coming out himself and saying (paraphrasing) "There is nothing new about Tottenham.  I'm 100% focused on what the national team is..".   We've been told this was already agreed to before he went on Argentina duty.   Betis themselves have come out and saidi he is due back at training and not due in London for a medical.   Doesn't seem to be the language one would use when a deal is already agreed to.

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

Vinvora23
Looks like real betis want more money so they can buy more players. Not going to happen with only one buyer available. They bought lo celso so that he could be sold at a higher price. Keeping him for longer will lose value. So Tottenham will get him may be later.<quote author="steve_ben">
Is this turning into another Grealish saga, where we waited and waited always expecting the transfer to happen, only for it never to do so - it is beginning to feel that way with less than 2 weeks of the window remaining

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

Sean
Clive if The lo celso deal was agreed like you said I think he’d be with us already as he is back from holiday. If we have to settle for fernandes I will be very disappointed

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

THBN
Administrator
Right guys. This is what I understand.

Price was agreed before the Copa America.
Post Copa America and post-holiday, Real Betis wanted more upfront so a different payment structure which we would only agree to if the price then comes down to reflect that.

Payments for transfers like this are instalments, not a lump sum. Changing a payment structure changes our transfer income and expenditure balance in future windows and affects what we have available for transfers.

The aim was to have Lo Celso for the Inter Milan game.

There is a lot of posturing and games being played through the media putting pressure on each other to accept the others position.

I remain confident this deal will happen but Lo Celso needs to train for fitness so I read nothing into him going on their training camp. We want to sell N'Koudou but we took him on pre-season in the Audi Cup.

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

steve_ben
THBN - can you see this turning into another Grealish like fiasco ?

I am just curious

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

Ben Slater
I think this will happen. We have an obvious need of players and we have budget to bring them in. I'm not a Levy hater by any stretch and I believe that he knows we need these players (including Sessegnon here) badly.

We should not mince words here - it would be a failure of his stewardship of the club not to get these deals done given that there are no other targets in the pipeline and only 6 days of the window remaining. As I say, I believe Levy knows this and will get this done.

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

steve_ben
And the saga drags on and on.

We now hear that Dele is going to be out for a few weeks with a hamstring injury.  If we fail to land either Lo Celso or Fernades in the next few days then i think Mr Levy may well face a very hostile set of fans on Saturday

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

Carlington Racki
I thought selling Eriksen was unrelated to buying Lo Celso and that only Fernandes was more directly tied to whether or not Eriksen goes. Obviously a problem will be the English window closing a few weeks before the other countries, which may force our hand to selling Eriksen to Man U, hopefully not. But Pogba may be the domino we need to wait on. Man U have already spent a lot this summer on defense and Madrid still want to unload some of the players they overpaid for over the last few years.

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

elouai
It looks like Pogba may still go a few weeks later, so Man United would want to purchase Erikson as an insurance policy before the window closes, only question is, does Erikson want to go to Man United? Since he does not seem to want to sign a contract extension and Real Madrid are not making a bid then his only option is to stay and wait out the year or go to Man United. I dont see how waiting a year will make Real Madrid want him more than now, especially if he wont be first choice

We will see what he decides, even if Tottenham sanctions the move, its still in his hands

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

steve_ben
And now Coutinho is in the mix - all very interesting.

Seems like THBN has got it very wrong on the Lo Celso deal, which now appears to be dead in the water

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

THBN
Administrator
Matters have just changed. I produced a whole article on the Lo Celso situation and the fact Real Betis having agreed everything then asked for the money upfront instead of over 4 years as these deals are always done.

https://tottenhamhotspur.blogspot.com/2019/08/tottenham-transfer-talk-tuesday-update.html

They want 28m euros to pay a buyout clause and agreed a deal several times, then each time go back on it and ask for the money upfront again.

It isn't dead, but we won't ruin our chances of making other deals if they keep playing silly buggers.

Still time for Betis to behave themselves.

Re: Giovanni Lo Celso

greavesand gilzean
so not all pf this makes sense but some does

1. Eriksen. we need to sell him now for about 50m. he wants out, he's not in Poch's plans. and we have replacements to sign now. brilliant player for us sometimes, but goes missing and too easily pushed off the ball to be at the very top.

2. Lo Celso. Best direct replacement/competition for Eriksen. We need this one to get over the line.

3. fernandes. Faster, more direct, better goalscorer than either E. or GLC. but may no be able to unpick packed defenses. a good complement to GLC/E, but not a direct replacement. would love to see him come essentially as a Lamela upgrade (tho L aint leaving this window).

4. Dybala. Not an E. replacement BUT much better touch around the box, much better goalscorer than any spurs player. really a replacement for Alli/Moura. Best in 2-striker system (which we dont usually play but could). also will take minutes from Parrot. also no defense. also ridiculous salary.

5. Countinho. 20m for a year's loan. good backup plan in case GLC doesnt happen. signing next summer for 80m would be ridiculous unless he suddenly turned into a worldbeater for us. unlikely., But we could sign him then for maybe 60.

we need GLC most, followed by Fernandes if E. leaves. Dybla is really a red herring; a statement signing but not what we most need. Coutinho is a backup plan in case GLC doesnt come.
12